Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Cranberry Sauce

Thanksgiving is next week so I would share my tried and true cranberry sauce recipe, and its so easy!  I was never a cranberry sauce fan the circles of gelatin from can, but I love cranberries. You can actually make this pretty clean with a brown sugar blend and stevia but I used the regular stuff this time, still better than the stuff in the can. Here is what you need:



1 bag of cranberries
3/4 cup Orange Juice - I use 1-2 oranges ( depending on size I usually buy a few extra just in case you never know how much juice you will get) the original recipe calls for orange juice trust me you can go that route but its not as good as fresh squuezed from the orange,
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
optional - 2 oz gold rum but in this house we use bourbon



Pour all ingredients into a sauce pan on medium heat, stirring occasionally as cranberries start to pop. This typically takes 10-20 min, I find it takes more time on my flat top than a gas stove. ( Gosh I miss a gas stove)



Once cranberries are popped and it has a liquid consistency take off heat. I let sit for about 5 minutes and then pour into dish. Place in refrigerator, or its good served right away as well! I make this at Thanksgiving and Christmas for dinners. Its great heated up on pancakes or french toast ( i always make french toast Thanksgiving weekend with leftover sourdough bread, it is about the only time of year I make it.  Its also great on leftover turkey sandwiches and freezes great too! Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Megan, I always make fresh cranberry sauce, but I have not tried the orange juice instead of water. I also use white sugar. I have a large bag of cranberries in the fridge now, so I will definitely try your recipe this weekend. I love homemade cranberry sauce on turkey sandwiches! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete