Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Bourbon Roast Turkey

So I missed my Tasty Tuesday post as I was busy wrapping things up at work this week. Better late than never! 

With Thanksgiving around the corner I thought I would share my favorite turkey recipe for Bourbon Roast Turkey! I won't be making Thanksgiving dinner this year but may try to adapt this recipe for a turkey breast something a little easier because this is seriously the best! 

I found this recipe in the Orlando Sentienal several years ago when we were living there and I've never strayed away.  It was adapted from the Beekman 1803 Heirloom cookbook. 

So here is what you need: 

Turkey : (it states 14lb but I've used smaller) 
Ancho chili powder
Salt
Sugar 
Orange
Lime 
Half an Onion (we don't onions in our house so I add 1/2 and orange and some cranberries) 
2-3 garlic cloves 
Maple syrup
Molasses 
Brown sugar
Worcestershire 
Kentucky Bourbon (for cooking I typically go with Jim Beam) 


Prep: Mix ¼ cup coarse salt, 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder in a small bowl. Carefully run fingers under breast and thigh skin to loosen; season under skin with a third of salt mix. Rub remaining mixture in cavity and all over skin. Pierce 1 orange and 1 lime and halve 1 onion; stuff them into cavity with 2 bay leaves and 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled. Tuck wing tips and truss your 14-pound turkey as before.

Glaze: Heat ¾ cup maple syrup, 2 tablespoons each molasses and brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire to a simmer in a small saucepan; cook 5 minutes.

Roast: Set turkey on rack in roasting pan; add neck and giblets to pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour 2 cups bourbon into pan. Pour two-thirds of the glaze over turkey; set aside remaining third. Cover roasting pan; or oil a large sheet of foil, cover pan, oil side down. Roast about 3¼ hours. Uncover pan. Brush turkey with reserved glaze. Roast uncovered until breast meat registers 165 degrees on a meat thermometer, 30 minutes.



Ignore the plastic still in my turkey (haha) this was my first time every cooking one and I didn't have twine so I left this in 😂.  Plate, carve and enjoy! 


1 comment: