Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Under $20 Bar Stool Makeover


I always love a good project. Now as a Mom I love them even more. Projects are something I can do that I enjoy during nap time, or some me time when the husband gets home from work or on the weekends. 

One of the best places to find furniture projects is going to the local goodwills or the buy sell trade groups on Facebook. Here you can find pieces that might need an uplift, of course you might even have some pieces in your home too. 

I had been on the hunt for some new counter height bar stools and as a Momma on a budget nothing had caught my eye ir my budget. These weren't a priority on my list of things we needed for our house either so it sat in the back of mind. Then one Friday night in one of those great Facebook groups someone posted these bar stools for FREE. It was about 10 min from my house so I off I went because I knew I could make these babies over. 



 The next day I posted my current ones for sale for $10 and they sold immediately. That $10 went to paint for the stools, because Momma on a budget! 


I purchased chalk paint from AC Moore in Sheepskin. My coffee table is this same color and I knew it was perfect to go with. I'm also a big fan of this chalk paint and the price is great! I love the Annie Sloan paint but it's not cheap or easy to find. There are a ton of color choices in the FolkArt brand and I also saw it at Joanns Fabrics so check your local craft stores! The bonus, you can use a coupon! 


The medium size container cost me under $10 with the coupon, and I'll definitely be using this paint again. 

Next it was time to find a fabric to cover the seats. I decided to use an indoor/outdoor fabric because it would be so much easier to wipe down and keep clean. I found a grey and white stripe one at Joanns fabrics I loved and with a coupon it cost me ten bucks!! So if you don't count the paint since I sold my stools and paid for it these stools cost me $10 but even not $20 is so cheap for a make over! 


Next it was time to paint them. I took the seats off sanded them a bit and they were ready to paint. Best part about chalk paint is your don't have to prime! 







 The stools took about 3 coats. I started them late Saturday afternoon, one was complete by Sunday and the other on Tuesday because I just didn't get to it on Monday. Once the paint was done and dry I lightly sanded and then I used Annie Sloane wax to finish. FolkArt has wax but my Mom had this so I just used it. 


I let the wax dry and we were good to go. We had covered the seats covers on Sunday but I forgot pictures, and we reattached them to the stool and they were done! 




I love the way these turned out, and they look great in my kitchen. They are also pretty comfortable and I might actually sit at the bar now. 





You a can update anything with a little paint. Now I'm ready for a new project. Next up you ask? Turning this space into a sweet play area for my sweet girl, with a bit of a Disney theme! It may be a few weeks but I can't wait to share when it's done! 





  









No comments:

Post a Comment